Re: Database!?

  • To: "Jan Diederik" <jddehaas@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Using Excel to convert data
  • From: Matt Tway <mtway@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 08:30:21 -0800 (PST)

using the "ActiveWorkbook.Name" Visual Basic function in Excel you can get your file name, you sould be able to extract the date from the text.
At 10:33 PM 12/5/97 +0100, you wrote: >>>> Hello fellow MS users, I have MS for a couple of months now but I have really big problems with my data. I live in Holland and am using a program so I get my data with 15 min delay, but that's not the problem. This program (OASE) writes the data to a textfile. For conversion a bought a conversion program, but that doesn't work at all. I have complaint about this, but they didn't respond to it. I am trying to get my data another way, because I am going nowhere with this. But now comes my real question ;-)

In order to use the data in MS I want to convert that data through Excel (97) in the proper ASCII layout, so I can import it via The Downloader. But for that I need to have the date included. The filename of the TXT-files is xxxYMMDD.txt and I want to use that for (automaticly) inserting in the Excel sheet. I can then save the sheet as an ASCII file and convert it in The Downloader. Does anyone know how to create a macro that that can do it for me (manually is waaayyyy to much work). The data in the files are divided by semicolumns and have the following format: Tickersymbol;Open;High;Low;Close;Volume. Any help would be VERY appriciated.
Greetings from Jan Diederik
<<

* Matthew P. Tway * mailto:mtway@xxxxxxxxxxx * http://www.rscubed.com/~mtway * * No unsolicited E-Mail *