Re: 闽臦厨基╰参

  • To: "Harvey Pearce" <hpearce@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Oscillator and Trend Following Indicator Integration?
  • From: "Steven Buss" <sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 20:50:00 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Harvey and to all who have replied to my question.

The "received wisdom" does seem to be that oscillators work best in trading
range markets and that trend following indicators (by definition) work best
in trending markets.  And this makes sense.

But I wonder about one thing...

Don't oscillators also work well in trending markets when the market is in
an extreme position (as defined by an oscillator) AGAINST the trend?   i.e.,
in an up-trending market, when the stochastic is oversold, then, the
stochastic indicator does provide information of significant value?

So, the restated "received wisdom" principles might go something like this.

-   Trend following indicators work well in trending markets.
-   Trend following indicators don't work well in trading range markets.
-   Oscillators work well in trading range markets.
-   Oscillators also work well in trending markets when they have extreme
values that run AGAINST the trend.
-   Oscillators don't work well in trending markets when their value is
consistent with the trend.

Thoughts?

P.S.  The Elder insight on this is that the trend is best found by examining
a trend following indicator at a higher level timeframe than one wants to
trade.  (e.g., trend established by weekly bars for trade timing determined
by daily bars)

Thoughts?

Steven Buss
Walnut Creek, CA