tc2000

Dick,

I'm going to have to try some more experimenting with IRL.

As to whether what we've experienced is a "correction" or not, I've got no
idea.  Today, the DJIA (7753.96) took out Monday's high.  But no other major
index did the same.  (But the two S&P indices took their respective highs
out on Monday.)  The 7765.75 high of 11/5/97 is still out there for the
DJIA.  For this merely to be a correction, by definition, the sets of
11/5/97 highs would have to be taken out.  The question is:  How many runs
can be taken against that 11/5/97 high in the current rally before we get a
correction from the current DJIA rally?  I have no idea.  And I'm trying to
position myself toward not caring...

The thing that strikes me about today is the divergence in the closes of the
averages (DJIA/S&Ps vs. Nasdaq, and narrowness of the advance witnessed by
up vs. down issues/volume ratio).  The Nasdaq composite high on 11/5/97 was
1644.55.  On Monday, the high was 1631.46.  The Nasdaq high today was
1603.11.  Clearly above the support around 1600 but a ways from taking out
1644.55.

My question is this:  In this market context what index usually plays the
role of leader?  Anyone know?  Dr. Roffey?

As for me, I don't have bets on indices.  I'm just not smart enough and also
don't have the stomach for it.

It does seem to me that what's going on in the Phil Semiconductor (SOX)
index and semi stocks is important.  (It was the stated reason on CNBC for
the Nasdaq weakness today.)  I'm watching it closely and have taken
bearish-oriented action vis-a-vis individual issues.

But I'm worried enough that I'm looking for up-movers.

OK.  So everyone who's decided to fade me please raise both hands...Great.
I can sleep tonight without reading anything giving me second thoughts
because everyone's got their hands in the air and off the keyboard. <G>

Steven Buss
Walnut Creek, CA
sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx