MS: Interchanging data with Excel via OLE: General problems?

I have tried several times to interchange data between MS V6.0 and
Excel (Excel V5.0 ger, Win95 ger, 48 MEGs ram, some GIGs dspace, a
fax-/voice-mailer and an internet mail server running in the
background , ger = german version), but I was not very successful:

OLE connections_ from MS to Excel_ transporting and updating
historical data (about some MBytes) were not very stable, and even the
starting point of the exported data seemed not to be the same after
some updates / reloads.
OLE connections _from Excel to MS_ work only very randomly: After
connection (i.e. copy & paste/special) in most cases there is nothing
to see in MS, beside of some disk activity and the name of the data
shining up in the title bar of the approprate inner window.
I have set-up my german versions of Win95 & Excel to use American date
format and American list separator (i.e. ",").

My questions:

Are there any general OLE problems with MS (and Excel), especially
with "international versions", or can I expect reliable OLE
connections between MS and Excel, also for huge amounts of data?

What can / should I do to enhance the OLE connectivity and stability?
Are there better chances when using Win NT?

Any hint is welcome.

mfg rudolf stricker