GOLD

CMA,
what is the size of your hard drive and the speed of your CPU?  I "only" have
a 1.6GB hard drive and, with DriveSpace 3, I have 800 MB free space.  As I
did today, using PartitionMagic and DriveSpace 3, I can adjust the free space
on my Investment relating partition to anything I want.  The 100 MB
requirement for using Quotes Plus doesn't seem an insurmountable obstacle.

If you are not familiar with computers, I don't recommend you install
DriveSpace 3.  Many novice users seem to have trouble with DS3.  Sometimes
there are memory conflicts with other programs which novice or even average
users can't fix.  Since I am an advanced user, I have never had any trouble
with DS3 (I couldn't fix).  If you have Windows version ‘A' and don't have
DS3, the only thing you can do to reduce the cluster inefficiency (to 10%) is
to keep the size of your partitions below 512 MB.

Daniel.

<< I appreciate your
 assistance, but it is now clear why so few people try conversion of
 downloaded ASCII data to MetaStock directories: it is too difficult.
    Can you recommend any provider of end-of-day data for MetaStock? I
 have run through most of them. Quotes.com files are too difficult to
 convert and Quotes. com doesn't provide tech support.  Quotes Plus does
 a wonderful job of updating MSPRO directories but is no good because it
 requires maintaining a superfluous 80MB database on hard disk. Others
 are quite expensive. Any data sources I may have missed would be
 appreciated.
                                                 Thanks, CMA