Re: US stock data file conversion

  • To: Metastock List <MetastockList@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: US stock data file conversion
  • From: cma <cma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:11:26 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to Equis tech support, but unfortunately file conversion from
ASCII to MSPRO format does not work for me using Downloader ver. 6.0 on
this Quotes.com downloaded file. (Quotes.com does not provided tech
support, they told me.) Just to test thesis that ASCII file was too
large, I tried conversion from a small part of file consisting of first
5 lines. Got error message: "NO file matching sources were found.
   ASCII file downloaded from Quotes.com was data of 3/9/97. No reason
to traverse data since was trying to update only one MSPRO subfolder.

   There are no errors in the destination directories files, since
the only one was newly created with no data.   I appreciate your
assistance, but it is now clear why so few people try conversion of
downloaded ASCII data to MetaStock directories: it is too difficult.
   Can you recommend any provider of end-of-day data for MetaStock? I
have run through most of them. Quotes.com files are too difficult to
convert and Quotes. com doesn't provide tech support.  Quotes Plus does
a wonderful job of updating MSPRO directories but is no good because it
requires maintaining a superfluous 80MB database on hard disk. Others
are quite expensive. Any data sources I may have missed would be
appreciated.
                                                Thanks, CMA