buy & sell socks

Rex,
  Generally speaking, your comments are unbiased, neutral.
  However, allow me to comment on your +'s and -'s about
  commodities / futures.

1).> + Lots of information on supply and demand data; the trouble
is        >that the commercials have better data than you probably do.

  Most futures traders are techies, not fundamentalists, so this
  supposed trouble is a not that dramatic ( with few exceptions, of
  course ), specially with the guys in this forum, which is on the
TECHNICAL ANALYSIS SIDE.

2).> - Need to be constantly rolling contracts forward, meaning paying
   > more in commissions, or which results in discontinuous data for
   > weekly or monthly charts...

   Most long-term futures traders may hold a position for a few
   months, with VERY FEW going into that hassle of
   continuous contracts.

3).> ... as well as confusing symbols, terminology and margin
>       > requirements.

   Confusing symbols?, for who?, if you trade futures and
   don't know the symbols of the markets you're trading, are
   you sure you're in the right place?.
   I follow the meat markets (CME), and I KNOW whatever changes are
   taking place, like LIVE HOGS changing its name to LEAN HOGS
   ( what's confusing about that? ) or PORK BELLIES going 300 points
   limit from 200. And these 'changes' don't occur every other month.
   The conclusive note about this should be : KNOW THE MARKET YOU
   ARE TRADING !.

4).> - Obtaining accurate data and knowing whether your data is
   > accurate is a problem.

   A problem?. If you call a problem getting a High of, say,
6888          instead of 6890 for Swiss Francs ( two ticks, a mere $25
),
   yes, you're in trouble, if you think in terms of pennies.
   If you think BIG ( and a Futures trader SHOULD ), you'd think
   on the $3600 (max DAILY range in recent history ) + you can
   make if you're in the right side of the market or, at least
   the $700 + ( recent average DAILY range ).

5).> - Volume and open interest are reported a day late, and the
   > figures are for all outstanding contracts, not just the
   > specific contract you are interested in.

   This is applicable only to whoever takes Volume and OI in
   consideration for their T.A.

6).> - Weather news is a bigger factor than with stocks, and who can
   > predict the weather?

   Read No. 1

A + Comment on Stocks:

7).> .... don't have to worry about whether your order is
   > covering 5,000 bushels or 5,000 pounds or ounces or whatever.

   Is anybody trading CBOT Corn / Wheat / Oats / Soybeans
   and DOES NOT KNOW that 1 contract covers 5,000 Bushels?. That's
   what I call GUTS ! ( or, playing with fire, perhaps? ).
   BTW, in a few months, you'll be able to tell your broker:
   "Buy one July 98 Corn at ... " ; forget the bushels !.

  > I hope I don't start a big controversy on this list server
  > with some of my comments, as I really am not intent on
  > offending anyone.

  And from my stand point, you are not offending anyone. My
  comments may sound like backfiring, but they are not,
  I just wanted to make your comments more 'fair'/ elaborate
  and explanatory, from a futures trader point of view.
  No offense, please, my intention was NOT to create a
  controversy.

Regards.

Efrain R Portales
Fort Worth