New User/simple question

 (Embedded
 image moved   metastock-list @ metastock.com
 to file:      09/16/97 05:09 PM
 PIC15885.PCX)

To:   metastock-list @ metastock.com
cc:    (bcc: David Radtke)
Subject:  Re: Better Descriptions of RTD Indices?

Here's a long winded explanation I got from MetaStock Support. This is not
the answer I was looking for. It assumes I have a broker, and already know
I want to trade, or follow the Japanese Yen, etc. I do not. I just want a
better explanation of the indexes.

David R.

The suggestion you were given about calling your broker was the correct
answer.  However it may need a little more explanation.
When you call your broker you will not ask him what the correct Reuters
Symbol are because he won't know.  What you do is ask your broker for
information about Japanese Yen Index so that you can determine the
specific Japanese Yen Index you want.
Collecting data is sort of like shopping for your wife from a list, at
the grocery store.  She may give you a list that says Wonder Bread
Country Style 3 loaves. So you buy the 3 loaves and take them home.
When you get home you discover that she really wanted you to shop at
Albertson's, because Albertson's has this bread on 3 for the price of 2
sale.  However she didn't say that and you of course couldn't read her
mind so...
Data is the same way.  Many data items are traded on the same exchange .
The only way to know which one you want is to ask your broker for the
specific information about the Index you want to trade.  For example the
trading hours of the index etc.  Once you know the specific information
call Reuters and they will be able to help you identify the correct
symbol.
A data service won't necessarily know what any given ticker symbol is,
or the details of how to trade it.  The data service is sort of like a
grocery store for data.  If you ask an employee at a grocery store to
tell you about one of their grocery items they may not be able to tell
you anything.  Why? because they didn't make they item they just sell
it.  However if you call the manufacturer of the item they can tell you
all about it.  A grocery store know how to contact the manufacturer and
order an item so that the customers that want the item will be able to
get it.
The same applies to data.  You should discuss your investment objectives
with your investment advisor or broker and decide ahead of time what you
to collect.  Once you know what you are looking the data service can
help you find it.  This is exactly like walking into a grocery store and
asking where the  Wonder Bread is.  You will receive an almost immediate
answer because you know what you are looking for and you can ask for it
specifically.
George
Equis Support

In a message dated 97-09-16 02:14:41 EDT, metastock-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx