Re: Stops

  • To: dickj@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Stops
  • From: cma <cma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:17:42 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Dick, for very informative rundown of OTC practices. A couple of
thoughts on OTC trading.
   1) My experience even with relatively active stocks that are under
the new NASDAQ rules is that the market makers routinely ignore my
improving their market. It often takes a call from my broker to force
them to show the improved market. These are outright violations of the
new rules and occur every day in many stocks.
   2) While SOES traders do exaggerate intra-day swings, they improve
liquidity and make it tougher for the market-makers to rip-off the
public with excessively wide spreads. The public has benefited from SOES
traders who, together with the new rules, have mitigated the
monopolistic practices of the mainline brokerage marketmakers.
   3) Question for Dick. Can you have your broker send the order
directly to the Island so that you can compete directly with the
marketmaker on the bid or offer? Or any other ideas on how to buy on the
bid and sell on the offer other than openind and account with
Datek?                           Thanks, CMA