Re: Pentium II 300 MHz

Hi Jerry,

Here's a little info. you might find helpful....Soes traders take a lot
of flak for the volatility of the market, and a little credit for adding
liquidity....The funny thing is they are able (through ECN's like the
Island) to "play" market maker, and buy on the inside market bid, and
sell on the inside market ask. So while they tend to help exaggerate
price moves, they also provide very healthy competition with traditional
brokers/market makers and as a by product, make it possible for lesser
mortals like you and I to be able to do the same thing....

If you get an account with Datek securities, they hard wire your order
directly to the Island (via LAN) and you can actually place a limit
order to buy at the best BID price, and if somebody is selling, you can
get filled without paying the spread. (Of course, if you're buying and
someone else is selling, you may not WANT to get filled, as the price
may be headed down <g>)

If you have Level 2 Nasdaq screens, or have a friend who does, you can
actually "see yourself" come up on the bid with a limit order to buy at
the current inside bid price !

Of course, Datek has it's own limitations......forget openings and fast
market conditions...they just get overloaded (primarily with people
trying to use the free real-time quote buttons over and over, I think)

But on a stock with a dollar or two spread, this feature can make quite
a difference if you have the patience.

Plus, if you set strict mental stops, you don't have to "give away" the
spread to your downside stop-out point.

I've always wondered about the effect of Soesers on T/A though. I spent
some time at a large Soes shop in lower Manhattan, and there were
150-200 guys, some of whom were turning 150-200 thousand shares per day
(round trips, of course)....The question I've never heard discussed is
what this kind of activity does to open,close,high,low,volume based
indicators like money flow, A/D, OBV, etc..........Especially if they
act as a  market maker on one side of the trade, and a retail buy/sell
on the other.

On Intel, it probably doesn't make much difference, but on a stock with
a float of less than 10MM shares ?

Food for thought, eh ?

Dick

P.S. There's no exchange rule against stop loss orders on the
Nasdaq....but brokerages like ML and Fidelity don't allow them, I
suppose because they got tired of explaining why the stop order was
filled at the bottom of a gap down, then the stock closed higher than
the fill.......A lot of stocks have left the Nasdaq because of the
volatility, only to find their share price gradually declines on
less-volatile exchanges.