Comparative Relative Strength

I agree that a major top is forming.

The catalyst will be reduced earnings due to the high US$ rather than high
interest rates.  The Dow really took off early in '95 when the US$ fell from
100 Yen, 1.57 DM to a low of 80 Yen and 1.35 DM - the US$ had been at 111
Yen and 1.75 DM early in '94 (does anyone have figures or a graph for the
US$ Index?).  These falls lead to an export led bull market with rising
Company earnings.

The cycle has been reversing during '97 with the US$ rising recently above
120 Yen and 1.80 DM - pre '94 levels. Combined with crashing Asian
currencies, exporters will be looking down the barrel when their forward
cover runs out. Export stocks will then find themselves substantially
over-valued with earnings falling rapidly - its only a matter of time. To
offset such large currency movements would require an unrealistic increase
in export volumes.

Therefore non-export Companies will be the best investment, especially
manufacturers that import raw materials which will be substantially cheaper,
but ultimately there will be a flow on effect.

Steve