printing layout

Here is an explanation of all of Wilder[s directional movement:

The directional movement indicators are taken directly from pages 35-48
of the book, New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems.

The directional movement indicators (+DI and -DI) in MetaStock are
Wilders' formulas.  They are calculated by the following:

If (today's high > yesterday's high) AND (today's low > yesterday's
low), positive directional movement is present.  + DI for today is the
amount by which today's high exceeds yesterday's high.  -DM is zero.

On an outside day, where (today's high > yesterday's high) AND (today's
low < yesterday's low) you must choose the greater difference and assign
that amount to +DM or -DM and make the other zero.  You should work in
absolute values.

On an inside day, where (today's high < yesterday's high) AND )today's
low > yesterday's low) assign zero to both +DM and -DM.

Downward movement is analyzed in the same way by switching the logic.

To calculate the true range we must define it:  True range is the
largest of:

	1) The distance between today's high and today's low.
	2) The distance between today's high and yesterday's close.
	3) The distance between today's low and yesterday's close.

Thus, the calculations are:

			 +DM(today)		-DM(today)
	+DI = ------------		------------
			  TR(today)		 TR(today)

+DI is expressing the percent of the true range that is up for the day,
while -DI is expressing the percent of true range that is down for the
day.

You accumulate each day's data and track the +DI and the -DI.  You
choose a period for the DMI.  Wilder uses 14 so so will I.  Take the sum
of the TR's, +DM's and -DM's for the past 14 days.  Calculate +DI(14)
and -DI(14) with the same formula as above, substituting +DM(14) and
-DM(14) for DM and DI.  Use TR(14) for TR.  Using an accumulation
technique, you would calculate subsequent DM(today) and DI(today) by the
following:

	Today's +DM(14) = Previous DM(14) - (Previous DM(14)) +
DM(today).  Do the same with the -DM(14).

Use the same procedure for the True Range:

	Today's TR(14) = Previous TR(14) - Previous TR(14)  +TR(today)
							--------------
								14

So +DI expresses the percent of the total true range of the last 14 days
that was up.  While, -DI expresses the 14 day TTR that was down.  Both
are positive numbers.  When you calculate +DI and -DI, drop the decimal
point or multiply by 100.

For example, if +DI(14) = 43 and -DI(14) = 22, 65% of the true range was
directional and 35% of the true range was non-directional.

			+DI(14) - -DI(14)
			+DI(14) + -DI(14)

ADX is a 14 day average of DX.  To calculate the first ADX value, add
the previous 14 DX values and divide by 14.  Subsequent values are
calculated as follows:

			(The previous ADX * 13) + DX (today)
					14

Equis Support