Wheat--Pick your poison

I have encountered a problem in that after I do the linkages between MS and
Excel, all the charts in the directories of the selected stocks for the
portfolio are not updated, although the data were updated.  I can see the
updated data in the Downloader, but could not coax it to appear in the chart.

My data vendor in Singapore does not make use of the Downloader to
incorporate the data, but subscribers dial in to its dedicated bulletin
board to obtain the daily updates by downloading a zip file which is then
unpacked and incorporated into the database automatically.

My workaround is to fire up MS 4.5, and using the Data Maintenance
function, I was able to "adjust" the Last Date to be the latest available,
but this method is tedious even with the help of a macro.

Also, does anyone else encounter problems now and then with the Master and
Emaster file in each data sub-directory?  In my case, for some reason, the
attributes of these files in some of the subdirectories became read-only,
instead of the usual archive attribute.  What could be the cause of these
changes?

Any and all help will be gratefully accepted.