stock splits

Hi,
I've been very disappointed in MS data capabilities.  The slow speed,
need for sorting, limited format converters, aliasing symbols to file
names, and the entire black box of the downloader.  I would find the
whole thing more useful if I could keep data in MS Access and/or with
Excel as a front end.  I can figure out how to do most of what I want,
but can't get it into MS 6.0.  Can someone help me figure out the file
format and directory characteristics, e.g., .dat, emaster .dop, etc.
I would be happy to share anything I develop, I just need to be able
to write the current MS format.  Thanks.

							Jeff