Weekly Pick

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Mr. Malcolm Smith wrote:
> > but when you are going to see the message using your own MSWord the
> > macro is executed
> That is why you view all incoming Word docs with Notebook and then save
> them afterwards.  This kills all macros stone dead!

I am not familiar with Notebook, but I do not know of a Word viewer for
Macs. Word macro virus code can be platform independent. Also, if you
save the attachment, even though you viewed with a viewer, if you later
view the saved attachment with Word you risk an infection. One suggestion
in addition to using virus software is to write protect your Normal.dot
file (Normal on Macs). This isn't foolproof and I can think of several
scenarios where your system and privacy may be very easily compromised by
a Word (Excel, Access, ....) macro. Your idea of viewing with a viewer
and exporting the text to a text editor and saving is excellent.

Cheers,

Jim