Reading MS 5.xx data files in Visual Basic

That's what I did--surfing the web to find something suitable. I just find the
amount of information too much to research in any useful manner (actually, I
find it takes too much time), and that's why I asked for
suggestions/recommendations :)

I presume I can find Datek on the web somewhere?

You've lost me on the speed of trading that can hurt you. I am using two
brokers. One, where I place the order directly with a dealer. He carries out
the transaction and confirms the price whilst I am still on the telephone, and
the transaction goes on the broker's systems at the same time, too. In effect,
I could, say, buy now and sell 5 minutes later--hardly ever so lucky, though.
Problem is, they are not exactly cheap.
With the other broker, I place my order with an order taker, and the deal goes
through on average about six minutes or so later, which is fine in most cases.
If I keep starring at my screen that is connected to real-time information
from the London Stock Exchange, I can see my deal go through (unless it's
somebody else's with the same volume) and can confirm the price from there.
That's okay, too, but only because that broker's commissions are so low. The
real problem is, however, that with this broker transactions end up on their
system with a quite considerable delay only. I have found myself in a position
where I was unable to close a position three hours after the initial trade
because the initial trade was not on their system yet.

Wolf