Re: Why can't info providers work better with MetaStock?

Don,

I agree with you about all the ineffiencies of using one file
per company. But for better or worse when you use one file per
company you are better protected from database corruption. This
is a problem that happens more often than people think. Even
Microsoft Access spends a good full page in their manual explaining
how to protect from them. In other words, unless you have a good backup
of your data, your whole database will be useless. But if you want your
program to scan thousands of companies very fast you still have to
put all data in one database. We are taking this latter approach
in our upcoming StockWiz for Windows 95. We made a name for ourselves
for being very fast and we need to put speed ahead of convenience.

Also the easiest way to find out how much space is wasted by a file
is to write down the number of available bytes on your drive, create
a new file that only has a few bytes and then count the free bytes
again.

--Steve