Re: CYMI Breakout

Subject: Netscape history

   > Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 17:37:42 -0400
   > From: michael.arnoldi@xxxxxxxx (MICHAEL J ARNOLDI)
   > To: metastock-list@xxxxxxxxx
   > Subject: NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR users
   >
   > can anyone help ?
   > i just installed the netscape navigator a few days ago, and would like to
   > know where the visited sites are stored and accumulated-  i would like to
   > clear the register say once a week so that i dont loose as much memory.
   >
   > what is the folder called ?
   > how do you clear it, without removing part of the importants programs?
   >
   > mike

I don't think Netscape and Equis are part of the same company.

Go into DOS, [Windows is for fun, Dos is for getting things done] into
the Netscape directory and look for things like COOKIES.TXT, and
HISTORY.TXT, and other suggestive titles you find there. Look at them
with an ascii based wordprocessor to see where the addresses are stored.
They will start by saying that "this is a generated file, so don't edit
it", which is just what you want to do. You can edit the offending
entries out.

Cookies.txt is one of the ones you want to squelch as soon as possible.
It records the sites and catagories that you visit, and shares this data
with the other sites that you visit, so that everyone can build up a
dosier on you, and your tastes, buying habits, and all that. It is one
that keeps growing. There is a section where you can check a box, and it
will ask you whenever it wants to make an entry "set a cookie" into the
file. One article called this file, "Your computer is spying on you".

The best way I found is to make this file quite short, - it has
passwords and things like that. Go to DOS, and change the attribute to
READ-ONLY. That will stop it from setting new cookies, but allow it to
read what is already there. If you delete the file, it might take some
of your passwords with it.

In DOS, type in "help attrib" without the quotation marks, and it will
show you how to change the attribute of any file to whatever you want.
What I have done is type in the DOS command ATTRIB R+ COOKIES.TXT

Actually it is  ATTRIB R+ (or is that +R) path:\filename

I have checked Cookies.txt several times since I did that, and it is the
same as when I changed it.

Dennis

---
 * SPEED 2.00 #1468 * The truth is more important than the facts.