Angle of slope

I draw my trendlines "by hand", and then label them with what I call a
"rate", rather than a slope.  A rate of 1.0 would be a horizontal
line, a 2.0 would double the stock price in one year.

The formula for the rate is (P2 / P1) ^(12 / D2 - D1)
where P1 and P2 are the first and second prices,
and D2-D1 is the number of months between the prices.

For example, I draw a trendline under Ascend that is three months
long.  Let's say on 8/1/96 the line is at 39.8 and on 11/1/96 it is at
59.4.  Dividing gives 59.4/39.8 = 1.49.  Since this is only for 3
months, you must raise this number to the 4th power (12/3), giving
4.96.  This rate means that if ASND were to stay on that line for one
year, the stock would be worth 5 times as much, for a gain of 400%.

Don't let the exponentiation put you off.  There are only three
numbers to remember:  If you take two points 12 months apart, then the
exponent is 1.  6 months apart, use 2.  4 months apart use 3.  And 3
months apart use 4.

Obviously, growth at a steeper rate is very desirable.  However,
numbers above 8 are nearly impossible to maintain.  From July 1996
until the present correction, the DOW, S&P 500, and NASDAQ were all on
lines with a rate of about 1.5 (50% per year).

For two whole years, ASND was on a 7.2 rate line.  My very best find
was PAUH, which was on a 15.0 rate line for the entire year of 1996.
The stock went from $1 to $15.  Wow!

The big advantage of labeling trendlines with a rate is to make it
easy to compare two stocks.  Since Metastock automatically scales
charts, you cannot tell by looking at two charts which one is rising
faster.  I like using the Rate because it can be translated into
dollars so easily.  But it has some drawbacks.  For example, it grows
too high very fast.  A vertical line would have a rate of infinity.

----------------------

Now, how can any of this be automated?

I suggest you use the ROC (Rate of Change) function on a moving
average.  Use a three or five day MA for short term trading, and a 26
or 50 day MA for intermediate term.

I have found that no one MA works for all stocks.  I like to pick the
MA period visually by finding the shortest period that smooths out the
changes I don't want to see.

For example, if INTC tends to move up and down within a channel every
two weeks (10 trading periods), then a 20-day MA will smooth out those
cycles and show the longer term trend.  But if you wanted to trade
those cycles, you would need to use a very short MA such as 5 days.