[amibroker] Re: watchlist sorting (vers 4.91.1)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lester Vanhoff" <ebsn247lsm@xxx>
wrote:

> TJ: If it was supposed to sort watch lists names you would need to
click one level higher (not select single watch list) ...

> Well, I actually highlighted all watch lists (Alt+S-W - Sort) and
>was hoping to sort them.

If you highlight ALL watch lists and select sort it means:
"Sort SYMBOLS in all selected watch lists".
All watch list operations operate on one or more selected watch lists.
If multiple watch lists are selected then the operation (in this case
SYMBOL SORT) is performed on each watch list separately.

Must I really put the message boxes like this:
"This operation will sort the SYMBOLS, not the watch lists. Are you
sure to proceed" in every place?

(I have learned that it does not matter if something is described in
the User's Guide because no one really reads the guide, instead
people make up their own theories about what given function is
supposed to do and come to the conclusion that there is a bug in the
program if the program does not match their imagined function, not
the function actually documented. Sometimes even displaying text
right in front of somebody's eyes is not enough (ReadMe that is shown
automatically after beta installation is perfect example).

I really hate programs with so many "are you sure" message boxes, not
mentioning the fact that implementing this is really total waste of
time for programmer.

>In previous versions tickers inside watch lists were sorted
>automatically.
Yes they were, but it was UNDESIRABLE feature. At least for
significant number of people.
For years people were whinning all the time that symbols within watch
list are sorted automatically.
This was BAD for them, because they wanted to keep THE ORIGINAL
order in which symbols were added (ranked results from AA window for
example).
So I was receiving TONS of request NOT to sort !!!

So I delivered this feature that original order is KEPT,
but for completeness I also delivered option to sort symbols
alphabetically ON DEMAND.

The same with hiding empty watch lists - they were hidden originally
and I was receiving tons of complaints about it.
Now I show all watch lists and now everyone cries to hide them.

So the "solution" is to add another set of new options and then I
will hear another set of complaints that "I can not see my watch
lists again". Or  "There is a bug in the program: I can not see my
empty watch list that I have just added" followed by (day later) "I
forgot to say that I have ticked an option to hide empty watch lists".

All in all, I recently get the impression that all original
functionality was apparently perfect, because no matter what I change
(even on request of many people), each change is met with complaints
and people all the time say that they liked old functionality better.
So I guess I should stop accepting any feature requests because EVERY
change (even most often requested) is met with negative reception and
nothing but complaints.

I am getting pretty tired by this.

Regards,
Tomasz Janeczko