Re: [RT] cycles

  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:14:33 -0800
  • From: "Jim White" <jwhite431@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [RT] cycles

Jim,
Thanks for the reply and references. When I began this game I studied just about all the cycle methods available including Hurst and Delta. I doubt that there is a cycle book of note that is not in my library. I concluded that there was just to much variability in the accuracy of the trend change forecasts from cycles to give me an acceptable trading methodology. Now, I admit this is a personal thing - I just cannot stand drawdown and waiting to be in a profit position as is required when trading with cycles.
But there was something else about cycles - they told me nothing about the why of market moves and I wanted something that was more science than art.To believe that markets moved according to planetary positions or some physical number periods just was not acceptable.
It was not until I began to study chaos theory and the psychology of traders that I developed a methodology that satisfied my curiosity as to why markets reverse and to give me an indication of reversal that was close enough to trade with. I set as my goal a +/- one period accuracy on reversals and a 70% to 80% reliability on the trading signals , performance which I have documented over the last ten years.
Now this is not to say that I don't believe that cycles exist - I certainly do. They just do not satisfy my criteria for a trading methodology. Others may be able to use then successfully.

Now regarding the discussion of the importance of volume. I also have no found no reliable way to use volume as a trading tool. However I do use measures of tic direction to give me readings on the sentiment of the market and changes in sentiment leading to price reversals. I use these every day.

Jim White