[RT] The Clunker Bit

Curt Hessler who runs one of the best newsletters around:

Curtis Hesler,
Professional Timing Service
www.protiming.com
Had the following in today's letter.

I have to pass on this bit of ?clunker math? sent tome by a subscriber:

?Think of it this way - A clunker that travels 12,000miles a year at 15mpg
uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle
that travels 12,000miles a year
at 25mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers
transaction
will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles so that?s 224 million
gallons saved per year.
That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about
5 hours worth of
US consumption. More importantly, 5million barrels of oil
at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars. So,
the government paid
$3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million. We spent $8.57 for every
dollar saved. I?m pretty sure they will do a great job with health care though...
?

Clyde