From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Ross
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:39 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RT] 1929-1987 Spiral Calendar Analog update

Nassim Taleb posed exactly that question in his book The Black Swan.  The question was put to the MIT quant and Guido the street wise bookie as such:

This is a FAIR coin and FAIR coin toss and it has resulted in four heads in a row.

The quant said “Of course not, the fifth trial is an entirely independent event and the probability is 50/50.”

Guido said.  “It’ll be a heads.  Yas jest can’t flip four heads in a row.  The game’s rigged.  It’ll be a heads.”

The question is whether there’s a hidden order in time and space.  Benoit Mandelbrot, the greatest mathematician of our lifetime IMO and the discoverer of the Mandelbrot set, would say there is a hidden order.  But it isn’t a Gausian “bellcurve” order; its not a gaming coin toss population of events .  It is not linear and likely we will never discover it.  Our only glimpse of it will be through fractal geometry.

Jim