RE: Ketayun RE: [RT] RE: Charles Nenner

OK, thanks very much. We do have a lunar eclipse on the 9th. Will go back to last year and see how it played out. Great Stuff. According to some tables I have Feb 12th seems to show up as a Carolan date though the 11th. pm looks like a low. Feb 19 and 20 look bullish.
-----Original Message-----
From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jim Ross
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 1:10 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Ketayun RE: [RT] RE: Charles Nenner

Wow, it’s a window that extends from the date of the full moon preceding a solar eclipse to the next full moon after the solar eclipse.  Not really, I can seldom get the algorithm straight in my mind.  Steven Puetz discovered that all crashes (movements greater than a certain %) occurred within his defined window.  I think that 8 out of 8 historic crashes occurred within the window.   Elliades and Carolan have refined Puetz’ work so please do refer to their careful definitions.  But there are two windows every year.  Obviously, two crashes don’t occur every year.  So the rule is that IF a crash occurs, it won’t occur OUTSIDE the window (statistically that is).  Last year I was following it so closely that on August 16 the window opened and I was convinced there would thereafter (sometime) be a crash.  I was so obsessed that I told my doubles partner and two other golf buddies a crash was going to occur on the practice tee of a tournament (exactly August 16).  Well, a crash did not occur that Monday August 18.  However, a crash cycle obviously began.  I just went back to my Outllok Calendar notes because I’d followed the window last year and I had made notes of my research regarding the Puetz window definition.  I believe the following are excerpts according to articles available on the Web that are authored by Peter Eliades and Chris Carolan (separately):

"Puetz attempted to discover if eclipses and market crashes were somehow connected. Without discussing our own opinion on the potential connection between astronomical configurations and market timing, let's simply relate to you the basic findings discussed by Puetz. He emphasized that he is not contending that full moons close to solar eclipses cause market crashes. But he does conclude that a full moon in general and a lunar (eclipse) full moon close to solar eclipses, in particular, seem to be the triggering device that allows for the rapid transformation of investor psychology from manic greed to paranoia. He asks what the odds are that eight of the greatest market crashes in history would accidentally fall within a time period of six days before to three days after a full moon that occurred within six weeks of a solar eclipse? His answer is that for all eight crashes to accidentally fall within the required intervals would be .23 raised to the eighth power less than one chance in 127,000."

". . .Puetz) used eight previous crashes in various markets from the Holland Tulip Mania in 1637 through the Tokyo crash in 1990. He noted that market crashes tend to be lumped near the full moons that are also lunar eclipses. In fact, he states, the greatest number of crashes start after the first full moon after a solar eclipse when that full moon is also a lunar eclipse . . Once the panic starts, Puetz notes, it generally lasts from two to four weeks. The tendency has been for the markets to peak a few days ahead of the full moon, move flat to slightly lower --waiting for the full moon to pass. Then on the day of the full moon or slightly after, the brunt of the crash hits the marketplace."

Regarding what happened last year.  August 18 was the beginning of the Puetz window and I made a mental note that the high preceding the Sept, Oct and Nov crashes, occurred in the Puetz window.  Perhaps that’s the “Ross modification” of the “Puetz window.”  Regardless, I’d rather be lucky than good and last fall was very good to me.  We won the tournament that weekend too.

Again, the above circumstances, I understand, occur twice each year.  VJ