RE: [RT] Paulson Plan

Mark to market has some limitations, but ignoring what us CPAs call ‘permanent impairment’ is like whistling past the graveyard.  Banks, on average, lost 11% of their capital with just the FNMA/FRE collapse.  They’re one foot in the grave and, those that are not, can’t lend due to loans to reserves regulations.  Regulators can’t stop CPAs from forcing bank and brokers from marking to market where appropriate.  Regulators can implement ‘regulatory capital’ as in the S&L crisis, but that’s a joke and CPAs can’t allow such fraudulent financial statements;  FASB is dug in too deep.

** Yes, it’s purely inflationary or a redistribution of wealth or a combination of both. **

Both.  It is purely inflationary at the level of the Roosevelt infrastructure rebuilding  Emergency Act’s and Social Security.  A fiscal inflationary measure is the only thing that start lending, and maybe not even that.  The Fed can only affect monetary base IF AND ONLY IF people are willing to borrow.  This is the beginning of the “liquidity trap” and people have begun to stop borrowing and have started saving.  Those inclined to borrow have worn out their credit and they will be forced to save via foreclosure/bankruptcy.  But the $700B plan is also a redistribution of wealth BUT to the wealthy.  You heard it directly from Warren Buffet live on CNBC this week, “No, I would not have invested $5B in Goldman Sachs if I didn’t believe Congress would do the right thing.”   What’s right for Warren to triple his $5B overnight.  I guess he didn’t sleep all that well last night.

From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of hostmaster
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:10 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] Paulson Plan

Valid points but the argument is that the market is not fairly valuing the assets at this time since the market has failed and is illiquid.  Assets have different values in an organized sale, an auction, and a panic.  Carrying them on the books at some arbitrary inflated value based on an over priced market at the time of acquisition is just as invalid as marking to market in today's environment.  Perhaps a new mark to market rule that used a 50 or 200 day moving average would be more realistic.  Thereby taking note of the market but ignoring the high daily beta that sometimes rattles things.

A 2nd not about the overall "fix"... We have taken over 3.6 trillion of fannie/freddie debt, spent 250 billion or so on fed bank takeouts, and now are talking about $700 billion for the latest action to remove credit/debt swaps from the market and balance sheets.  This is already over 4.5 trillion dollars.  As recent discussion about the $85 billion bailout for AIG demonstrated 85B/200million tax payers = $425.00 per adult in the USA.  That can round off to about $500 per $trillion.  multiply that by the $5 trillion or so the gov't will no doubt assume in debt to deal with the current problems before its all done and you have $2,500 per adult in the country. Liquidity could be added to the markets by pumping it into the economy from the consumer side by giving $2,500 in spendable script to each adult in the US.  By doing it as spendable script it would not get stashed away as savings or to pay old bills but would only be useful to spend.  Thus consumers would spend, those who are tight on mortgage payment money would have a supplement to carry them along, etc.  Defaults would decline strongly, the economy would soar with businesses (and only domestic business at that) would gain sales and liquidity, housing markets would have time to stabilize with the shut off of more defaults for quite some time and all could bet back to a more normal environment where long term fixes could be designed to correct the structural problems in the system and could then have the time to be implemented and work slowly.

Yes, its purely inflationary or a redistribution of wealth or a combination of both.  But then so are the other fixes being contemplated right now.   This one targets main street instead of wall street and keeps the gov't layouts directed purely domestically and instantly builds confidence with each and every US adult as it puts spendable money in their pockets.

Boater805