Re: [RT] Paulson Plan

I agree with John Mauldin's comments on asset valuation; however his
suggestion to suspend mark-to-market accounting is wrong.

It does not help investors, depositors or regulators to allow
financial institutions to overvalue their assets and therefore
overstate their capital reserves.  And to make matters worse,
re-jigging reported asset values only when it is convenient to prevent
an institution from failing is just insanity.

Here's an example.  I buy a house for $1 million and finance it with a
$900,000 loan.  Let's say its value goes up to $1.2 million, so I
report that value on my credit application to the bank and borrow an
additional $180,000.  A year later, the value of my house declines to
$600,000.  Mark-to-market accounting says I must report a deficit of
($600,000 - $900,000 - $180,000) $480,000.  Suspending mark-to-market
accounting says I continue to report $120,000 of equity.  Which paints
the true picture?  Oh, and following the suspension of mark-to-market
accounting, with my $120,000 of "equity," I convince you, an investor,
to put up $60,000 for an equity interest in my house.

An interesting benefit of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley's recent
switch to bank holding companies was that certain assets no longer get
marked to market.  They avoid reporting the decline in value of
billions of dollars of certain assets.