Re: [RT] Trading Diary: False Breaks Warn Of A Market Top

Also, the eTrade episode provides a public quote for some of these "mark to model" instruments. One i believe the auditors will apply with relish (remember how they were scapegoated on the way to SarbOx). This may help to put a little firmer bottom in about the same time frame.

regards,

tbr

EAdamy wrote:

If I had really good answers for these questions I would be filthy, stinking rich a year from now. So much is uncertain that I'll just have to make some educated guesses.

1) Value for S&P. I think that the SPX is highly valued now and that earnings are going to decline at least 10% so 1,200 is probably in the ballpark. If we have a recession, and I believe we will, declines often run 30-40% from peak value so that yields 1050-900. The sovereign wealth funds are going to be a new factor so I think that may provide better support. On balance, around 1,200.

2) The world economy is now built upon exponential leverage of debt. Not just mortgages, but credit card, autos, home equity, CDO's, CLO's, SIV's, ABS, you name it. Something which has not even surfaced is the leveraged counter-party risk when counter-parties start defaulting ... the modern day equivalent of the 1980's "portfolio insurance" which was thoroughly discredited in the 1987 crash. I think that the global financial system will get it worked out but it is going to require time, lots of time, to find where the crap and the weak hands are and clean it up. I don't think there can or should be an instant "fix".

3) Problem with the credit system is shrinking liquidity. Credit holdings can not be valued due to the way credit has been sliced and diced (horizontally and vertically) and then securitized. Not knowing what is functional and what is not, everyone is hoarding cash. That is taking liquidity out of the financial system much faster than the Fed can add it. A low FF rate will do no good if no one wants to borrow.

I am about 65% cash now. I expect that the 1Q earnings reporting season is going to see a lot of downward revisions and a lot of crap being written off the books to clear the decks and get the problems behind. I hope there will be some real fear and loathing in the market at that point. I expect that write downs in some of the better financials may (eventually) be proven to be excessive leading to future gains. 1Q won't be the end by any means but I suspect it may be shopping time. If not 1Q, then 2Q.

Earl