Re: [RT] stock fundamentals queston

Ira:

I have been on both sides of this aisle. At one point,
I was one of the lead money managers for the largest
fund in the world at that time and the resources
available to me were obviously staggering. I got
fundamental news well ahead of literally anyone else
in the world. Here's an example:

The phone would ring and because I had a very large
cocoa futures position, it was one of the counters
from the cocoa pod count teams out in the field. He
was calling me 4 days before the report would be
compiled and generated and the count was going much
worse than anyone could have expected. Or I'd get a
call from a farmer on a farm in the field in Iowa, and
even though Tommy Skilling, 'Mr Weather in Chicago'
said there was no rain, they were getting 2 inches of
rain in that part of Iowa and it wasn't yet
reported...

Last, I worked for the Bureau of Labor Statistics for
a bit and then as a forecasting economist for
President Regean's election team. Watching the numbers
get manipulated was a sobering experience.

99.9999999 pct of the investors or traders in the
world cannot have an edge in the findamentals--unless
its an industry they know well or they have found a
niche not generally covered by others [ as you
mentioned]. Trying to compete with the few that have
meaningful info is futile.

There are more generic fundamentals--some were
mentioned--and they can work if you are diligent and
careful. Another example would be keeping seasonality
in mind when grain or meat trading--not using it
blindly, but using it with your other tools.

But in general, to me, the numbers have become a
guessing game of how the numbers stacked up against
expectations...so you are reacting to the reaction to
the reaction. That's too derivative for me. I'd rather
just trade price.

Tim

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional