Re: [RT] Monday 3/12 - A Down Day

Charles,

For years and years now (ever since I bought an original IBM PC) I been trying to use volume to track the market.  For most of those years I have been using the formula of Prev + ((V / average(V, 30) * (( C - C[1])/(H - L))) for each of the Dow 30 component stocks and then adding all 30 results together.  Trouble is volume analysis for big cap stock does not work as well as for mid-cap (i.e., less widely held companies).  I've assumed this is because much of the volume in these biggest of big cap stocks is generated by program trading and thus volume is not neccessarily a precurser/indicator to future price movements.  Lately to circumvent this problem, I've used surrogates for the Dow 30 - thus my "unique market volume" statement.

Pete

From: "Charles Meyer" <chaze@xxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RT] Monday 3/12 - A Down Day
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:44:18 -0500

Pete-

Would you care to discuss how one quantifies "unique market volume"?  Looks like this might be more important for
intra-day trading?  For example, using simple observation, the signal to act on Monday 3/12 would have been taken on
Friday 3/09 for an end-of-day trader; and in HINDSIGHT one might have been tempted to think that Tuesday 3/13 might
also have been an up day?

In short, the unanswered question to the problem seems to be one of timing.  Any volume indicators that said Tuesday
3/13 was destined to be a down day? (:-)

Tks for any feedback.

Chas
-------