RE: [RT] DSL vs Cable for Trading

I concur with Zait.  Your data supplier, broker and local equipment are far
more important than the DSL or Cable provider.  Nowadays the actual
throughput from Cable or DSL is sufficient and somewhat similar.  For
example, look at the actual DSL throughput shown at
http://reviews.cnet.com/7020-9032_7-0.html?tag=bbw
<http://reviews.cnet.com/7020-9032_7-0.html?tag=bbw&ac=&filter=9031&action=G
o%21> &ac=&filter=9031&action=Go%21.  The numbers aren't all that different
from the actual Cable throughput shown at
http://reviews.cnet.com/7020-9032_7-0.html?tag=bbw.  Cable providers
advertise big numbers but their actual throughput is usually far less.
National average Cable throughput averages over 2000 kbps but in many
localities providers such as Comcast are running at less than 1000 kbps.
Quite often even those paying the extra fee to get an advertised 6000 kbps
are often getting actual throughput of less than half that much.

An excerpt from a recent Comcast user's email is typical in some parts of
the country.  "Hello,

I recently had HSI by comcast installed in my apt. on the 12th of oct. Since
then I've had nothing but issues with it. I've talked to techs on the phone
as well as having one come out. They ping me and say "everything seems ok"
but it's not. I get lots of packet loss, I get dropped frequently in World
of warcraft (to the point where I can't even play the game). And starting
yesterday, The speed (download) hasn't exceeded 300 kbs on 2 speed tests in
dslreports. I tested 2 times yesterday (both were at 40-62 kbs download) and
this morning at 250 kbs download speed. I signed up for a 6mb connection."

Chuck

  _____