Anyway, let's have a great week next week and make enough money we won't know what to
do with it all and agree to have a conversation next weekend about how to spend it.  :)

Bob

At 01:21 PM 3/4/2006 -0700, you wrote:
I think it was my post to which you were referring. I offer a few comments:
  • Although you can slide and dice the reasons/motivations, people who want jobs and do not have them are unemployed. There are many menial jobs which are available, however forcing people to take jobs which are below their skill and/or education level is not the hallmark of a healthy jobs economy. A minimum wage job in today's economy will not pay the bills.
  • Unions have been in decline for several decades now and I see no reason to blame jobs export on unions. Jobs will be exported as long as the world's corporations are able to find a cheaper place to produce their goods. This sounded ok as long as we kept most of the world's professional, engineering, research, and marketing jobs. However those too are moving offshore as our major technology leaders transfer technology and invest heavily for new research and development centers in China and India. Also, the strong manufacturing countries are developing very strong educational and research infrastructures which are severely eroding our dominance. In my view, we appear headed in the direction of homogenizing the world's labor rates to the lowest wages. I feel most fortunate to be retired!
  • We have already seen the effects of business dumping healthcare on the public sector and it is not pretty. In fact, the emergency rooms of many hospitals are so full of the resulting fall-out that those who have private healthcare coverage do not receive optimal service. I hardly think that the solution is for business to escape responsibility by dumping more of the burden of healthcare on the public.
Earl
----- Original Message -----
From: BobsKC
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] mkt outlook

I agree with everything you say below Ira.

For the record, I am currently at 80% cash with one tech stock shorted and all longs are
in bio tech and metals.   In your other post, you make some very convincing arguments that
we are topping out and even though I am obviously a fundamental trader rather than a technical
trader, I recognize the danger of being long when so many traders will be selling into strength.

I do take issue with your jobs picture or at least part of it as taking out those who do not seek
and will not accept any job, only makes sense.  The manufacturing sector has moved a large
percentage of their factories over seas and will continue to do so as long as unions hold sway
over their operations.  When an employee feels he/she works for the union rather than their
employer, quality workmanship is going to be hard to come by.  I actually considered that the
strike by Northwest mechanics might signal an end to union power in America but that may now
take a little longer than expected and a greater loss of manufacturing jobs with it.   American
business can simply not afford to provide free health care and life long retirement to its workers
and be competitive in a world market place.

When I married my wife in 1963, we saved for three years to buy a color television.  We saved
for a home down payment and we drove ten year old automobiles.  We had no boats or Skidoos
or snow mobiles or other luxury items and we owed no one except for our mortgage.  Today, our
young people *expect* to have all these things and have them immediately.  As you said, savings
is a foreign word to people and waiting for "toys" is unheard of.  Eventually, there will be a "price"
to be paid for such attitudes and I agree that we are getting closer and closer to the due date.

Thanks to all who have expressed their opinions recently and let's all stay mobile and quick to
adjust to what the markets tell us.

Bob