Re: [RT] mkt outlook

Post from a long-time lurker....

I agree with Ara's postulation that the market trades on perception of what might happen. The only factor that I could find in years of research that has consistently given any clues into equity valuations is inflation and more importantly the perception of inflation. P/E Multiples on the S&P 500 have been contracting and the enclosed chart of P/E Levels at various levels of inflation may give you the reasons as to why.

The market has been following the script of history since the days of WWII. The enclosed chart showing the market returns in the 4 years following a bear cycle have been almost spot on. The average return out of the bear in year 1 is 32.2% (2003 SPX over 28%) year 2 is 9.4% (2004 SPX 10.8%) year 3 is 4.7% (2005 SPX 4.9%) and year 4 is 3.2%. So, it would not be surprising that the market might have a volatile but range bound year again.

Last but not least...... The current cycle has been dominated with commodities rising, interest rates rising and inflation rising. The last time we had 6 straight years of small cap out-performance was 76-82 which might not surprise you was a period marked with commodities rising, interest rates rising and inflation rising. During the transitory year of 1982 the market (SPX) from Jan to Aug was down 15% but rallied to be up 14% by year end. A transition back to large cap stocks. I don't think we are starting a new secular bull market but the parallels are interesting. If you believe that there will be some reversion to the mean in large cap stocks more importantly large cap growth then you might find the enclosed chart on correlations interesting in regards to ideas to take advantage of that scenario should it occur.

Back to lurker mode....

Regards,

Duke Jones, CMT

p/e to inflation
correlations

Bull Markets

mr.ira wrote:
It is interesting that everyone seems concerned as to whether the market is going up or down.  Is it the end of the bull and the start of the bear.  Who really cares?  Just trade it.  that is what traders do.  What are the fundamentals?

We are about to enter the down side of the 4 year cycle with lows in 94, 98, 02 and therefore we should see one at the end of 06 or the start of 07 if the economic cycle continues to hold true.  As to no inflation.  The average home price in my area for January and February has been $1.1million.  Of course the same house in Texas probably runs about $350,000.  Health care, insurance, etc.are going up at a real inflationary rate.  Everyone looks to the governments figures for inflation not realizing that they change the components at will.  They say inflation is steady and yet the cost of living keeps rising.

Remember, it is not what is actually happening that makes the markets move.  It is the perception of what should happen that causes the price action.  I don't think anyone has the time to read all the reports.  Research all the papers written or read all of the opinions of various gurus and prognosticators and still have time to trade.  The answer is the same as in any simple crime drama.  Follow the money.  That is basically what technical analysis does.

I have nothing that says lower right now, but I do have a major high target of over 15,000 with some major resistance just below the previous high of 11,000+.  Will it get to 15,000+ or will it stop at 11,360?  I really don't care.  If the chart says buy that is what you should do and if the price says sell then do that.  Many times the charts tell you to get out and do nothing, but very few people ever listen to that scenario.

Just one man's opinion.  Ira.

Business finance uk Business finance course Business finance online course
Business finance class Small business finance Business finance schools

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS