From: Bob
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: [RT] mkt outlook

First, it wasn't ridicule.  Second, the problem with these forums is you can't challenge anything or anyone without being accused of ridicule (or censored or kicked out).....the scourge of political correctness.

I'm sorry but I guess I don't see the value in saying a market may go up or it may go down, and it will do that over the course of the next 2-4 days.  As for 1300, the S&P has been range bound for months with 1300 (futures) marking the top of the range, so where the h-ll else is it going to go if it goes up???

For the better part of the past 18 months Ben and others have been calling a top and warning us to liquidate our holdings, and depending on the index of your choosing they've continued to rally from 10-20%+.  If you call a top after every big down day during an uptrend you will be eventually be right but you'll also be broke if you trade that opinion.  I don't believe Ben is broke and I don't believe he marries his opinions - I believe he adapts when they are wrong which for all of us is more often than not.  I was just commenting on his post which made no sense to me.

The funny thing about all this is that I agree with their assessment and have for the same length of time, and I've been wrong too.  And I still think the stock market(s) are a huge accident waiting to happen.  But over the years I've learned not to trade my opinion because opinions & forecasts play no role in trading - unless you want to lose.  As for which side owns time, my fills are based on Price and as long as that's the case I'm going to trade Price.

Is this time different though?  Maybe.  The indexes have been range hopping for a very long time.....we churn endlessly for months and then over the course of a few days we move to a new range and resume the churning.  But if you look at a Dow chart you can see that these ranges have been getting progressively smaller - a sign it's getting tired?  We've had more (and welcome) volatility recently which you frequently see at a top after a long (and incredibly boring) grind up.  We've also had a number of weak closes lately which could also be a sign that the bears are warming up.  However, if you look at any of the daily/weekly/monthly charts none of them have broken down (yet), so the trend is the trend until it isn't even if it looks to have a foundation constructed of toothpicks.

But despite my overly bearish opinion on the stock market(s), if the DAX sets up long Monday morning I'm going to buy it, and if it trends higher I'll continue to buy it until it tells me to stop even though in my view it will be "wrong" the entire time.  Trading isn't about being right, it's about winning.  And the biggest challenge isn't becoming profitable, it's staying that way.  And this is the only way I've discovered that allows you to do both.

If you choose to believe that this is ridicule, well, that's your problem, not mine.