Re: [RT] My impression is that many had a bad day

Joe:

My apologies for being so late in getting back to your question. I taught
two seminars and two refresher courses in the past two days and I am
b-e-a-t with a capital B, so to speak...

I take your question as a completely honest one. No worries.

In point of fact, what irritated me about the earlier post someone made is
that the pitchforks on the chart you are referring to, and the ones posted
here, were chosen by a proprietary computer algorithm--they were not drawn
by me.  The used tells the program the criteria for "dominant" pitchforks
and it comes back with any that fit the criteria. In this case, that was
the match for the criteria that, along with a bit of proprietary logic
regarding pivot selection, held 9 or more bars between pivots.

Although I draw many of my pitchforks, many are also selected for me by a
computer program that was built to mimic the selection process I go
through--so that 1) People that don't have the 30+ years I have with
pitchforks get some of the benefit of my pivot selection knowledge when
using the program correctly and 2) it allows me to teach traders in
seminars at the CME and the CBOT and then especially when they first start
trading with pitchforks, I can have a ten minute session, via a multi-media
conference or in a trading and tell them that for today, for instance, the
two dominant pitchforks I recommend they start out with have settings of
XXX and YYY and they simply plug those settings into the software those
dominant pitchforks appear on their charts. They can then transition into
drawing their own pitchforks, or learn how to use the inputs for the
software and use it to select the dominant forks for the day.

One last thing: It DID become a more important pitchfork once price tested
it on the downside on October 18 and price reverses after touching its
Lower Median Line Parallel. But the fork was there, chosen by the criteria
given the software, well before then.

Let me say one last thing on the subject: I am not anti-system trading in
any way, shape or form. My partner was part of the original Unix
development team in the 1970's [while I was at the University of Chicago]
and we have many wonder trading systems. I also spend too much money to
count daily, weekly, monthly and yearly doing in-depth statistical analysis
on my own use of pitchforks in the tens of thousands of trades I make. I
have been keeping images and concise records of each of my trades since
1982, when I was a very large institutional trader and had the benefit of
the funding at the time to be able to afford lots of computing power at a
time when that was expensive. I have all those records and have had the
luxury over the years of having all the trades put into useful databases
that allow me to do research on each of the trade entries and exits I
employ in my trading. So I have a great deal of hard core statistical
analysis on a huge amount of actual trades made using pitchforks. I don't
throw up hastily drawn lines after the fact and post them on a forum like
this for my own pleasure of seeing if people go "ooh and ahhh." I am
comfortable in how I trade and what I show people, because I do a great
deal of scientific research on my methods.

Is art involved? You bet. Clyde Lee and I periodically discuss this issue
and it usually comes down to the point where we both agree that some
portion is science and some is art. In general, I think it is 80 pct
science and 20 percent art, but with the software I use and with Clyde's
software, there is more science and less art--but the art isn't gone entirely.

My apologies for the long-winded answer. I wasn't insulting systems
traders, because at times, I resemble one. But I felt the comments made
seemed slanted a bit in my direction, and I would not have responded to a
system trader that posted his or her charts by saying that my stuff is
worked great and your stuff, like most other stuff being shown, looks good
because it is hindsight. Sorry, saying that just isn't right. It isn't
accurate and it isn't right.

If I totally missed answering your question, Joe, my apologies. Please
point me in the right direction with another question and I'll try to me
more exact and more succinct.

Tim

24 Hours. Commission-Free.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RvFikB/9M2KAA/U1CZAA/zMEolB/TM