Re: [RT] LAPTOPS/ TRADESTATION

I appreciate the favor of your valued feedback Earl.  I'll look seriously at Dell.

Chas
----- Original Message -----
From: EAdamy
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] LAPTOPS/ TRADESTATION

When I used desktops, I built my own because I knew how and I could purchase the very best of components, install they with ease, and handle the repairs from spare parts.

When I switched to laptops I went with Dell (8000) and a 3 year home service warranty. Laptops are virtually impossible to handle with self-repair and replacement screens are a fortune. When I needed an inexpensive laptop for my wife, I did the same (2350). When it came time to replace my 3 year old Dell with a new one I did the same thing (8500 @ 1920x1200) except I was able to buy a 4 year warranty. When this laptop is 3 years old, I will sell it on eBay with a year of warranty remaining and purchase another Dell.

Why do I stick with Dell ... because I do everything on my laptop and when it breaks I want it fixed immediately. I have had 1 screen, 1 keyboard, 1 dial-up modem, and 1 disk drive replaced so has it been worth it ... YES. Also, I paid $2,100+- for that first laptop and sold it on eBay for $750 with a month of warranty remaining which is a lot more than I would have gotten for a no-name brand with no transferable warranty.

And believe me once you have a laptop you will use it more than you think. Aside from travel, mine goes everywhere around the house ... on my lap in the easy chair and to the deck in my lounge chair.

Earl