RE: [RT] Oil

Friday was
reminiscent of "bottom finding" action....the late day rally was pretty
impressive. There are some long bets going off at these low prices in the hopes
of a near-term crude oil decline.
<FONT color=#0000ff
size=2>
I have found
statements blaming the price of oil on speculators and hedge funds somewhat
humorous as that indicates the futures markets can OVERRIDE basic supply and
demand economics. If that's the case, "we're no longer in Kansas, Dorothy" (a
free market economy).
If in fact the
Saudi's are really shipping out more oil, spot crude should decline and
"take-down" the futures contract prices with it. <SPAN
class=255294122-15082004>I don't think that's the
case.
My feeling is
that OPEC is net long on oil futures when they should instead be hedged with a
short position.
If this is true,
these sky-high prices could unravel quickly if they need to cover
and reverse to short.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bob
  [mailto:BHEISLER@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 10:14
  AMTo: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [RT]
  Oil
  I agree on 1060 and also noticed the reaction
  between the trade deficit and bond yields.  And again, this may be just a
  pause before the bottom falls out but it's always interesting when a market
  holds up in the face of such news.

  Yes, oil is oil, but there has been, to this
  point, an obvious negative correlation between the stock market and oil.
  And it wasn't a talking head from CNBC I was referring to but a fellow trader
  making observations about something I am not familiar with......hence my
  post.
  <BLOCKQUOTE