Re: [RT] Benchmarking Hard drive

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "Ray Raffurty" <r.raffurty@xxxx> wrote:
> I doughty your hard drive is at fault.  What is your graphic card?

I "doughty" it's your graphics card. I've run TS off 2MB cards. If
your system is redrawing your WHOLE screen every tick you need to fix
that first. This is a fixable and well known TS2K issue. I think DB
at Dynastore posted a fix several years back.

Drawing a chart is actually NOT an intense graphics application
compared to video or gaming or whatever. Think about it: if you are
re-drawing the latest bar a few times a second (and maybe your
indicators if they are set to update every tick), how does that
compare to an actual video?

Anyway, I'm not saying it's fer sure the HD, but fer sure your HD is
slow and you are accessing it every "tick" using your virtual memeory.

BTW, did you Benchmark your "write speed?" As lots of new data comes
in, like on the open, TS "writes" it to your HD. If your HD gets
behind the delay will snowball and get worse over time. If your
entire system is using virtual memory (your's is), that'll add to the
problem. The read speed would apply to opening up new charts.

I'm no computer expert :-), but I've been my own TS trouble shooter
for 12 years. I can tell you your HD, and the condition of the files
on it, can and do effect TS performance.

FWIW, if you only have one HD in your machine you should get a second
one anyway and use your old one as a backup....

BW

>Is it built into the mother board?  That is far more likely to be
the problem.  Intense graphic applications, like redrawing a screen
every tic, require a state of the art graphic card.  Graphic chip
sets built into the mother board are cheep and suck processing
power.  Likewise an underpowered graphic card will do the same.

> No offence, but if you valued your time at $30.00 you have spent
enough time trying to fix this computer to afford a major upgrade.
The road to success in trading is littered with people who tried to
get by on the cheap, cheep (or old) computer + cheep internet
connection = disaster.  Frankly if you cannot afford to upgrade your
equipment and service, you can not afford to trade.  I and most
people here have learned this, sometimes the hard way.  Trading is a
business, if you don't have enough capital for decent equipment, you
don't have enough capital to properly fund a trading account to
withstand the inevitable draw downs.  Please do yourself a favor:
Prepare a business plan, including funds for equipment, services,
office and living expenses, etc. before you begin trading.  Take the
time to set your self up as a business and you will reduce the risk
of failure.

> Good luck and good trading,
>
> Ray Raffurty

helping some others as well. I benchmarked my hard drive with that
program and took several readings. Most were between 4300 and 5200
kbps when the defaults were used. I cant find any info about whether
or not this is good. I have a 3 year old, 9.5 gb hard drive with
about 4 gbs left. Is this as expected?

>   SMC

RegCleaner
>     (works fine, but use with care, backup your registry):
>
>     http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml
>
>     You said the same indicator works fine on your
friend's 'puter....
>     maybe your computer isn't "fine."

>     > Ok i think I found the problem.....I only have 14% of
resources
>     free, so how do I fix?
>
>     "Make sure you aren't starting programs you don't need and then
>     reboot.
>
>     or
>
>     Clean install of Win2K.
>
>     How about your HD? Is it old, slow, and/or full? A freebie
called
>     MPower can benchmark your HD. A slow or corrupted HD will cause
your
>     data to back up when your 'puter tries to write it to the HD.
>
>     FWIW, I have an old AMD 900, 400 symbols/ 30 charts+, QCharts,
>     Dynastore, TS4, and NO delay.
>
>     BW"
>

>     I just bought some great software that really helps with
>     trends....but i cant use in intraday.
>     >
>     > SMC

Service.