RE: [RT] Further Answer ?

Greetings Traders:

This report has been sent to me by my mentor and appropriately describing
the "situation" in the Mainland now.  Regards

Have a good one
Jeff Harteam
Hong Kong

Global: The World's Only Growth Story

Stephen Roach (New York)

China is continuing to have extraordinary success in separating itself from
the rest of the pack. That's true of its economic performance when compared
with the rest of Asia. It's also true when compared with the rest of the
world. Ironically, the Chinese, themselves, don't see it that way. To them,
China is still a poor country in the midst of a most daunting
transformation.
This contrast between how China sees itself and how the world perceives
China was the overriding theme of a one-week tour I have just completed of
Beijing, Shanghai, Suzhou, and Shenzhen. Accompanying me were a diverse
group of senior investors and industrial leaders from Europe, Russia, South
Africa, and the United States. Some were seasoned China hands. Others were
not. But all of them walked away truly staggered at what they saw.
In the macro business, it's easy to get caught up in your own point of view.
Since I go to China so often, I welcomed a fresh perspective. I last led a
similar mission some 18 months ago. The contrast between these two trips is
a great way to benchmark shifting perceptions about China's journey. A lot
has changed in the world since the spring of 2001, especially the context of
a much weaker global economy. But as I look back at my notes from both of
these trips, it's the transformation of China that jumps off the page. What
seemed so tentative to many a year and a half ago, no longer does. China has
come of age in shaping its own destiny and in impacting the broader global
arena. One the of the savviest and most seasoned investors on the trip,
summed it up succinctly, "China is simply mind blowing."
China's economic progress is evident on three fronts -- breadth, depth, and
scale. In terms of breadth, it's all about China's gathering success in
moving up the value chain. That's true of the shifting composition of its
exports -- away from consumer softgoods and into increasingly sophisticated
electronics and other forms of information technology. Andy Xie has
calculated that high technology goods have accounted for 42% of China's
export growth in the year ending August 2002. But it's also true in the
shifting mix of its aggregate demand -- especially the emphasis on domestic
demand. China's growth dynamic is still heavily dependent on exports -- this
segment of the economy accounted for 54% of total GDP growth in the first
half of 2002. There is growing recognition in the Chinese leadership that
such external reliance is excessive and must now change.
As such, support to domestic demand is now very much the focus of Chinese
macro policy. The trick, of course, is to pull it off. Infrastructure
spending continues to play an important role in this regard, but there are
also budding signs of an emerging consumer culture in China, as well. That
stands in sharp contrast to what was evident 18 months ago. Nowhere was that
more obvious than in Shenzhen -- Hong Kong's twin city near the mouth of the
Pearl River. We had a fascinating meeting with Shenzhen's dynamic and
relatively youthful mayor, Yu Youjin. He was as impressive as any politician
in the West, and was filled with energy in describing the explosive growth
of this 22-year old city that now has a population in excess of 7 million.
Shenzhen is loaded with some of China's most dynamic and exciting companies;
we met with two of the most impressive ones -- Huawei Technologies and Ping
An Insurance. But the statistic that stuck most in my mind was Shenzhen's
youth -- a population with an average age of 29, making it perhaps the
youngest major city on the world today. The streets are alive with shops,
movie theaters, and car dealerships; there is even a Sam's Club. You get a
real sense that the birth of the Chinese consumer is now taking place in
Shenzhen.
In terms of depth, China's progress is also unmistakable. Infrastructure
lays the groundwork. It's not just roads -- now some of the best in the
world. It's also the wiring of the Information Age. We visited the Suzhou
New District (SND), an industrial development zone about two hours west of
Shanghai by car that has only been in existence since 1990. The
52-square-kilometer area comes complete with its own fiber optic telecom
grid. From Motorola and Dupont to Sony and Canon, some 614 foreign
multinationals have set up business in the SND. We spent some time with
Solectron, a leading electronics outsourcer, and learned first hand of the
appeal of China. Due to the global IT slump, Solectron has pared its
worldwide headcount by 30,000 over the past couple of years; however, its
staffing in China is going the other way, led by a doubling of its current
facilities in Suzhou.
Yet there's more to infrastructure than just highways and telecom cables.
It's also about human capital -- scientists, engineers, and the development
of a new managerial class. The Chinese are the first to concede they have a
real problem on the management front: The legacy effects of a planned
economy left a glaring hole in this key segment of the labor force. To get a
better understanding of how China is attempting to overcome this problem, we
spent part of the afternoon at one of China's leading new business
schools -- China Europe International Business School in the Pudong area of
Shanghai. The briefing from the CEIBS administration was impressive, but the
students said it all. Bright, inquisitive, well-informed, articulate, and
energetic, they compared favorably with any we had run across in the West.
China has been lagging in its investment in human capital. A recent paper by
Nobel laureate James Heckman found that China's public expenditures on
education stood at just 2.5% of its GDP in 1995, less than half the 5.4%
ratio in the US but not all that far from Japan's 3.6% share. As efforts
such as those at CEIBS expand, I believe there is nothing but upside to
China's potential on the human capital front.
The combination of physical infrastructure, human capital, and new
technologies speaks volumes to the ultimate arbiter of China's depth --
productivity enhancement. It's an increasingly challenging combination for
the rest of the world to face. As one of more seasoned industrial leaders on
our trip said, "I don't know of anyone in the electronics business that
isn't contemplating a major investment in China to the tune of $1-2 billion
per plant. Any company that doesn't," he concluded, "will find its
performance punished." Nor is there a problem with product quality. I heard
this earlier on my Asian tour from the senior management of Sony in Japan.
They stressed that there was absolutely no difference whatsoever in the
product quality coming from Japan or from their five manufacturing plants in
China.
We also saw the quality story first hand at Huawei, the giant Chinese
counterpart of Cisco. With its vast array of telecom network solutions
conforming to the international quality standards and protocols, Huawei's
cost efficiency loomed all the more formidable. As one of the investors
said, "It's easy to lose money in technology these days, but Huawei may have
the best cost structure in the world to produce increasingly commoditized
technology products. The high-cost industrial world isn't even close." Nor
is Huawei just about cheap, high-quality production. It is nearing
completion on a new R&D complex in its Shezhen campus, a high-rise facility
that can house up to 10,000 of Huawei's engineers and scientists. China has
long been criticized for its lack of IT innovation. Huawei's massive R&D
efforts promise to challenge that perception.
Which brings me to scale -- the third dimension of the Chinese economic
miracle. China has never been small. However, while it contains fully
one-fourth of the world's population, it currently accounts for only about
4% of world GDP. China's leaders continue to stress this latter statistic in
minimizing China's impact on the world at large. But it's change at the
margin that matters most in shaping global trends. On that count, there can
be no mistaking the impact of China's rapidly increasing scale. While China
now makes up about 4.5% of global trade, Andy Xie estimates that the nation
currently accounts for approximately one fifth of the growth in global
trade.
Scale has always been China's siren call. The generic refrain we have all
heard for years, goes something like this: "If each of China's 1.3 billion
citizens were to buy only one paper clip a year..." That really misses the
point. The past 20 years of economic development have raised the base for
industrial output, exports, and even domestic demand. Huawei, itself, speaks
volumes about the scale of China's growing industrial clout. And it is only
just the beginning. In Japan, I also met with Nissan's management. They were
astonished that their vehicle sales in domestic Chinese markets were surging
by 80% from year-earlier levels; moreover, they stressed that the
comparisons were not off a small base. Say what you want about the
stereotypical Chinese worker making a dollar a day. There's a critical mass
forming in China that now puts the scale of its accomplishments in a very
different light.
Which brings me to the bottom line of my latest sojourn to China: China is
now beginning to come to grips with the global context of many of its macro
problems. The senior officials we met with in Beijing were quite frank in
expressing their concerns about global deflation. They were also convinced
that an overvalued US dollar was ripe for a fall. Moreover, official Beijing
now concedes that both of these developments have important consequences for
China. This is a subtle but important shift. I detected greater concern on
both counts than I did in several visits earlier this year. To me, that's
real progress. The difference comes in the sticky area of blame. China
argues that it is an innocent bystander -- and a source of resilience -- in
an otherwise shaky global economy. The rest of the world sees it
differently -- that China's emerging economic prowess is now part of the
problem.
It's tempting to find a scapegoat in tough economic times. It would be one
thing if the world were booming -- there would be plenty of prosperity to
share. But with today's global economy in lousy shape, it's more of a
zero-sum game -- one country's gains can often come at the expense of
another's. Such are the pressures and finger-pointing that China must now
face. One of the investors on the trip summed it up best, "Just as the world
must now cope with China, China must also cope with the world." The global
response to China looms as one of the biggest unknowns in the macro
equation. It could well be the most important test of all for the world's
greatest growth story.