From: "Jacobson, Alex" <AJacobson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 10:57 AM
Subject: RE: [RT] Trend Trader's Strategy -- Strategy Lab - MSN Money

Either situation can exist.  It is not uncommon for VIX to exceed actual
volatility in the market as has been the case for the last few days.

There times however, when VIX .. implied would be lower than actual
volatility in the market.

A good rough benchmark of actual volatility is to take the daily move and
multiply by 16 to annualize the number.  So if the OEX moves 2% in a given
day it's annualized volatility would be 32% based on that day's activity.  A
VIX value in excess of that 32% would imply that implied exceeds actual ..
which is normally the case.

If there is too large of a difference between actual and implied Wall Street
has a mechanism for arbing away the difference through the trading of what
is termed dispersion. In essence you buy the cheaper and the sell the
greater.