From: "Daniel Goncharoff" <thegonch@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] website for fundamental Info

The practice of excluding companies with losses or minimal earnings is
based on the premise that there is another rational basis for the
valuation of stocks without earnings, eg, assets, and that computing a
PE on stocks not being valued on current PE skews the result.

I don't think it was ever meant to include pie-in-the-sky hope as a
different rational basis. This strikes me as a bald attempt by the
industry to make the NAS look better than it is. Almost like a fund
manager fudging the numbers.

Regards
DanG

Chris Baker wrote:

> I don't know of any such web-site.  However I e-mailed the NASDAQ.com
> webmaster for the NASDAQ 100 P/E ratio and the webmaster promptly
> e-mailed me an Excel spreadsheet with the current and historical P/E
> ratio's for the NASDAQ 100.   However he refused to put the P/E
> ratio's for the NASDAQ 100 on their web-site so I could keep the
> spreadsheet current.
>
> P/E ratio's are calculated monthly, I believe using a simple average.
>
> The NASDAQ calculates the NASDAQ 100 P/E ratio using two methods.  The
> first method includes all stocks in the NASDAQ 100 (with a positive
> P/E).  That P/E ratio can be very high (100 or so) depending on the
> number of companies with minimal earnings in the index.  Sometimes you
> hear that very high number quoted.
>
> The second method is to exclude those companies in the index with
> minimal earnings.  Minimal earnings can lead to massive P/E ratio's
> that might distort the P/E ratio for the Index.

Win a Capcom Console Game.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/smpz8B/fxbDAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM