[RT] VIRUS WARNING - The !0000 trick does NOT work

This idea was discussed on Woody's Office Watch (9/27/2001) (free
subscription -- which I highly recommend):

http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n42

[...]
  3. MORE ON THE 00000 AND !00000 ANTI-VIRUS NON-TRICK
  Man, I'm getting loads of mail about the "put a 00000 entry
  in your Contacts list" trick that I discussed two issues
  ago. (See "Virus Blocking 00000 Trick Doesn't Work" in
  http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n40
  .) Please, everybody - the variations you've discovered
  don't work, even if your best friend's car mechanic's son
  who's a REALLY SMART computer guy (but a little smelly)
  told you it would block viruses.

  No way. In fact, it's turned into a big hoax.

  Andre Dierick writes: "Could you please add in your next
  Windows column that the non-working tip on 0000 to prevent
  viruses to be spread is (in Holland) changing into a virus
  as well? Reason: this "tip" is been send around and creates
  a chain of emails, thus overfloading email servers. It's
  not harmfull to my PC, but uses resources, comm links etc."

  Please, please, please. If you get a message telling you
  about the wonderful 00000 anti-virus trick, send a copy of
  this missive to the person polluting our ether.

  Dear (fill in the blank) -

  I really appreciate your sentiment - I know your heart's in
  the right place - but the 00000 trick doesn't work. What
  you've encountered is a well-meaning bit of advice that's
  rapidly turning into an urban legend.

  If you really want to protect yourself and your friends
  from viruses:

  A. Buy, install, update, and religiously use one of the
  major anti-virus software products.

  B. Refrain from opening any file attached to any email
  message, until you've contacted the sender and made sure
  that the file you received was sent intentionally. Even if
  it was sent intentionally, the file should be saved to disk
  and specifically run through an up-to-date virus checker
  BEFORE it gets opened.

  C. Don't believe everything you hear. Make sure you get
  your anti-virus information from people who know what
  they're talking about.

  D. If you're tempted to pass along more advice, please
  check the Virus Myths page, http://www.vmyths.com , before
  hitting the Forward button.

  Thanks.

Break free. Great