Re: [RT] Re: Profit Taking

Howard,
Your thoughts are certainly just as insightful as Rich's initial taxi post!
There is a vast difference (in my mind) between driving and running
an independent taxi business and trading.  Mainly the mental aspects
that come in to play along with the mental fatigue.

Thanks a ton!
Warmly,
Brian

At 09:51 AM 11/18/2001, you wrote:
>Hey Brian,
>
>Though the taxi driver example sounds like a good reason to trade all day it
>is not applicable to trading for the following reasons:
>
>1)  Once the taxi drivers make $200 do they stand a chance of having to
>return part of that $200 (besides gas costs)  if they don't generate any
>additional fares or have a couple bad fares (unhappy riders)?  The answer is
>no.  In trading you can give back your profit of $200 AND go debit!  The
>taxi driver example doesn't take that into consideration.
>
>2)  Though I've never driven a cab I have run retail businesses where you
>are deciding how many hours to put in to maximize revenues/profits.  You can
>stay on the job longer as a taxi driver without losing money due to loss of
>focus or fatigue.  Loss of focus and fatigue are destroyers of a trader.
>
>3)  The taxi driver example is focused on maximum profit/revenue without
>regard to what satisfies the desires of the taxi driver.  If he is happy
>with his $125 he will probably be a better taxi driver.  If he's happier and
>nicer to riders he will probably get better tips and reach his goal that
>much faster.  Plus don't forget an important thing, if he does his job well
>and riders reinforce the fact by giving better tips AND verbal appreciation
>he will probably take pride in what he's doing and feel good about himself.
>Why is this important for a trader to understand?  Because I've been there
>many times mentally beating myself up for quitting too early and missing
>opportunities, staying around too long making mistakes and losing money,
>etc..  If you set a daily goal and reach  it then you've done your job well.
>   You can feel good about your trading and yourself and THIS is what the
>ultimate goal should be.
>
>4)  This then leads to the real question we all must answer... What is our
>goal???   I've struggled with this in the past and am still struggling with
>it.  I daytrade the S&P's and puke trades too quickly.  The way that I've
>tried to overcome that is with exit rules (which I am still trying to
>consistently follow).  FOR myself (and EVERYONE is different) I found that
>taking a multiple contract position is the best way to go.  I usually take
>three contracts per account and peel them off one at a time.  It feels great
>when I lock in a handle to handle and a half profit on my first contract.
>With a little profit in under my belt I'm more objective and less emotional.
>   I then bring my stop up on the other 2 and look for my next
>support/resistance target to exit another one.  Then I TRY to hold the last
>one for a big gain.
>
>5)  I read a quote last night off www.innerworth.com.  I don't have it in
>front of me but to paraphrase:  'The difference between a professional
>gambler and a professional loser is that a professional gambler gets up and
>leaves the table when he has reached HIS goal.  The professional loser stays
> [...]

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3wM6yD/QrSDAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM