Re: [RT] free eod data

Ketayun,

I do not think Clyde was being rude or disparaging, just a bit on the blunt
side - I confess to nodding my head in agreement when I read his post.
Unfortunately, trading is promoted and thought of by too many as something
which can be learned in a few days and operated on a shoestring. Those who
have survived as professional traders have invested every bit as much time
and money as those who seek to become professional in other fields of
endeavor. More than anything it is this promotion of trading as an easy and
cheap business which angers many of us who know this to be utterly false.
The height of this absurdity was the publicity given to those day traders
who made millions overnight ... I would guess that nearly all of them have
since gone bust because they confused luck with skill. Considering Clyde's
contributions to the list, I suggest giving him the benefit of any doubt.

Now about that free data ... assuming that you have the tools and
inclination to deal with the hassles of data corrections, adjustments,
distributions, and splits; you might have a look at Yahoo which obtains much
of its data from CSI - considered to be a premium provider. The big
difference is that Yahoo has no futures data and limited indexes and lacks
the automated data handling tools which CSI provides to handle all those
nasty chores with ease. I happily pay CSI, Quotes Plus, and Quote.Com to do
the dirty work for me but I have no problem with those enterprising enough
to manage their own data. I do expect that the free data from Yahoo will
come to and end rather soon but enjoy while the sun shines.

Finally, I would commend watching your trading budget as long as you do not
compromise the quality required to meet your objectives. Learning the
trading business is a process of acquiring knowledge and experience while
preserving the funds required to continue trading and sustain life for a
period long enough to get through the education.

Earl