Re: [RT] Re: Virus alert - help needed

Just curious, but why did you open a .vbs file that arrived by email
anyway?

Good question.  Its a bizarre set of coincidences -

As luck would have it I was expecting an e-mail from the same company that
sent me the infected message. Even the subject was exactly on-topic because
we had been discussing advertising on their Homepage.  Because I was
expecting a message from them I just opened the file without checking it
first. I always check unexpected messages and messages from strangers.  (Had
I noticed that it was a VBS file I might have hesitated but I didn't even
bother to check to see what kind of file I was opening.)

I'm pretty careful (almost paranoid) and this is my first experience with a
virus of any kind.  I somehow thought my virus protection software would warn
me before I opened the file.  Big mistake.  In the future I will be more
careful even on messages I am expecting to receive from people I know.

Any advice on software that might have warned me before I opened that file?
I got lots of messages from people who received the virus from me.  They knew
exactly what kind of virus it was and didn't open it.  Is that a difference
in personal knowledge or are they using better software?

Thanks for your interest in my off topic problem.  I'm mostly interested in
how I can avoid such problems in the future.

Chuck LeBeau

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor