From: "Don Roos" <rosewood@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: [RT] Re: MKT - OEX

Don:

I think one needs to classify the gaps in the environment in which each
occurs.  That is, classifying the gap in terms of it's being in a bull or
bear trend is of utmost importance.

For example, the data I have on Spoos for bear trend gaps is as follows:

Bear Mkt Gaps=184 (37.2%)
GapUp=86 (17.4%):   Retr Prev Cl=72 (83.7%)  Retr Prev HiLo=51 (59.3%)
Cls>Open=27 (31.4%)  Cls>PrevCls=41 (47.7%)

So a gap up in our present situation occurs only 17% of the time.  It
retraces to the previous close 84% of the time and closes higher than the
open only 31% of the time.

So trading a bear trend gap down is more likely to be profitable.  The trend
is your friend.  Determining the trend is the trick sometimes.

dr