Re: [RT] Needed: astro trading system examples -- IT'S NOT GOING TO HELP!

On Sunday, April 29, 2001, 10:46:04 AM, Robert Moore wrote:

>> This old argument could be settled by someone posting a few examples

RM>  That is something I can argue about.  A few (or even many) examples might
RM> be very interesting but is not going settle anything!

In an absolute sense, true, but it will go a long way toward changing
the nature of the discussions, and some of the more open minded people
would find it VERY interesting and persuasive.

RM>  1. Human nature is such that perceptions are strongly filtered by belief.

I agree that we are not likely to change the beliefs of "True
Believers". But that was not my goal.

RM>  2. Mark's seemingly excellent formula for calculating the
RM> positions of the planets, does not show one way or the other
RM> whether the position or motion of these celestial bodies
RM> influences events here on earth.

True. I think we should concentrate only on astro trading systems. He
did give some tools related to coding astro stuff, and this could help
others interested in coding astro systems. Thanks, Mark.

RM> 3.  Correlations can be deceptive, especially if your are looking
RM> for correlations between a large number of series.  Statistically
RM> your are likely to find strong correlations between series merely
RM> by chance.

Agreed - again, back to trading systems. But, if someone shows me a
correlation relative to a short time frame, but has persisted for 100
years, I'll listen carefully even if it doesn't seem to make sense in
any physical way. :-)

RM> 4. With astrology (and some other technical analysis) if a large number of
RM> traders act on the belief that a certain relationship exits it will
RM> influence the result.

If so, it should show up in an astro based trading system, no?

RM> This may explain why it will be very hard for the successful
RM> traders on this list to change their opinion or trading based on
RM> posts here, even if those posts contain hard evidence of success.

The goal is not to change a successful trader, but merely to show that
astro systems can make money. As you say, it is "hard evidence",
something that has been missing so far for astro systems. Let's just
take the first step.

ztrader