RE: [RT] Re: Options question (buy both a bull and bear spread)

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Phfftttt.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
$3,000
to learn how to trade a straddle in front of an earnings
announcement?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
think you'd be better off buying a copy of McMillan's strategies
book.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
IMHO
of course.

-
John

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Merkley, Steve
  [mailto:smerkley@xxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 12:10
  PMTo: 'realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx'Subject: RE: [RT] Re:
  Options question (buy both a bull and bear spread)
  Could someone tell the group about the best options
  book they ever read.  An options book that gave option strategies that
  the author actually used.  I went to a 3 hr seminar with quantum vision
  and they want me to spend $3,000 to go to their bootcamp to learn how to trade
  option spreads.  The example that they were real hi on, was watch for a
  company that is going to announce earnings and about 3 weeks before the
  announcement, buy calls and buy puts at the same time and hope the price goes
  high or low enough to make you some money.  Does anyone have experience
  with Quantum Vision?  Thanks for the info.
  Steve Merkley

    -----Original
    Message----- From:
    Prosper [SMTP:brente@xxxxxxxxxxxx] <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>Sent:   Monday, January
    15, 2001 5:54 PM <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>To:     <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>Subject:        <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>[RT] Re: Options question (buy both a bull and bear
    spread)
    Thanks for your help Dom.
    So I can understand your post better could you
    state what you think the order would
    actually be. IE buy one 106 call and sell a call at <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>___ and then buy a 106 put and sell a put at ___.

    Thanks
    Prosper
    --- In realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Dom Perrino"
    <domenick@xxxx> wrote: > Options
    are very useful instruments. They can be used alone e.g. <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>buy calls > or puts;
    in conjunction with stock ,futures, or other entities the <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>can be > used to
    protect profits, limit losses and many other strategies. I <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>strongly > recommend
    reading up on options because of the many uses they can <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>be put to. >
    Regarding the particular example first bear in might  that would
    have <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> resulted in  a credit to your account  since the sale
    of the two options <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> would be greater than the purchase of the other two.
    If there a sideway move <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> let all options expire and you keep the original
    credit . If a move above <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> 107 or below 105  you can sell all and the gain
    on the call and/or put <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> should be greater than the loss on any diferrential
    move on the put and call <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> sold. Another thing you can do is to leg out the two
    winning options on a <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> swing up and leg out the other two on a downswing. I
    do not recommend this <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> because it will leave you with one uncovered option.
    There are many creative <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> ways to use options from the simple  to the
    complex . > P.S. Ira's
    post  gave an example of how option use come to you
    as your <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> need for them arises. >
    Dom
    ----- Original > Message -----
    PM > Subject: [RT] Options question
    (buy both a bull and bear spread) >
    > <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > Hi I have been thinking about Dom's suggestion. Seems that
    this idea <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > may be a good one. How would a person manage the position
    after > > entering it, for example
    if the security goes no place but <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>sideways. > > Or if it
    breaks out stronly one way or the other. Or if there is <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > extreem volatility like the spoos have
    experienced over the last > > year.
    Thanks for you input and thanks to Dom for suggesting this. <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > > >
    Prosper > > <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > --- In realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx, "dom perrino"
    <domenick@xxxx> wrote:
    > > > I beleive that's a vertical
    spread Something I suggest you might >
    > toss around > > > that
    would be more conservative is to consider a bull spread <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>and a > >
    bear > > > spread at the same
    time(referred to as a box spread). In your <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > example you > >
    > would sell one 106 call and sell one 106 put. You would also buy
    > > one 105 put <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > > and buy one 107 call. . You have limited
    risk/limited reward, > > provided
    you > > > don't leg out of the
    bull or bear spread seperately.This is <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>based > > on my
    > > > knowledge as applicable to
    stocks. I have not traded futures in <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>a > > few years
    > > > If it works differently on
    futures someone will correct. There <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>are > > numerous
    > > > strategies regarding options,
    some of which are very complex as >
    > seen here on > > > recent
    discussions.. > > > Happy
    Holidays > > > Dom
    ----- > > > From: "Prosper"
    <brente@xxxx> > > > To:
    "Real Traders" <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx> <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > > Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 10:34 PM
    > > > Subject: [RT] Options question
    for Ira and other options experts.
    > > > <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > > > > > >
    Hi, > > > > <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > > > I was thinking about an option play
    that would require that you
    > > buy one, <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > > at > > >
    > the money put 3 to 6 months out. Then you buy 2 calls out of
    the <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > money by > > >
    > two strikes. Or vise versa (buying a call and 2 puts). <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>Example, > > buy
    1 June > > > > 106 T-Bond
    call and buy 2 June 102  T-Bond puts. <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > > > > > >
    > I don't know if there is a name for this kind of trade. I
    would <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>> > like to > > >
    hear > > > > some of the pros
    and cons for this idea. > > >
    size=2>> > > > Prosper >

    size=2>> > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
    to: > > > >
    realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx >

    size=2>> > > > >
    > > > <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
    to: > >
    realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx >
    > > > <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>> > >