Re: [RT] GEN:OFF TOPIC:Computer Industry

While there is a demand and the demand seems fairly strong, young people
are moving into unix coding  in large numbers.  It simply is "cool" to be a
unix coder while it's "lame" to be a windows developer, programmer.  Keep
this in mind however.  Most businesses run windows based software.  Even
large companies which run Unix based mainframes will run windows on the day
to day operations.  You must imagine a secretary who turns on her desktop
to see a blinking curser and nothing else to understand why windows is
still the choice for day to day, mundane work.  It may be "cool" to be a
Unix engineer but I suspect that the demand for such people is being
rapidly met while really *excellent* windows people are scarce.  When a
National Bank needs an accounting software package running on Windows 2000
with 12,000 secretaries on line with it and you can impliment/develop and
train that staff on it, you're going to make some real money with real job
security.

Anyway, I see Windows becoming more of a midway support system for software
than an operating system in the near future.  The way Windows handles files
and other tasks invites crashes and they happen relentlessly.  Running a
base DOS of unix/linux with Windows over the top of that will be very
popular soon.  I know of three systems in use now which allow just this
functionality.  You get windows software choices without the crashes,
higher speed and more reliability.

hmmm.. time for me to get off this topic.  :))

Fellow traders/investors.. I wish each of you a Merry Christmas for those
who celebrate Christmas and a very happy Holiday Season for those who do
not.  I wish that we all find more love and happiness in the new year.

Bob

At 12:26 PM 12/24/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Last Spring I took an intensive programming and database course (Visual
>Basic and Sequel Server) at a local, well known adult education center with
>an eye to making a career change.  There was no job finding help beyond
>advice about networking and resume writing.  Those from my class who had
>some programming background, COBOL, Unix, etc., found work within several
>weeks.  Those of us without previous programming experience have had a much
>rougher time.  Paper Certs--A+, MCSE, etc. are a dime a dozen.  If I were
>to do it over, I'd find a program that offered apprenticeships for the
>hands on  experience employers want.
>
>You might try to find local user groups for the area of proposed
>study.  Attend some meetings and ask about training programs.
>
>Best of luck,
>
>Charles Marchand
>At 10:45 AM 12/23/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>Hello RTs,
>>
>>I'm currently looking at changing careers, for many reasons. I would
>>appreciate feedback from any of you who are currently either in the
>>programing end of the industry and/or the networking area.
>>
>>I'm considering attending a tech school called Devry. They offer a one
>>year program ($19K), for people who already have their BA or above who
>>don't need the foundation classes (english, hist, math, etc.) You are
>>immerse in learning programing and networking,
>>supposedly enough to get your foot in the door.
>>
>>I don't know if this is the best way to go? I did find out that Devry
>>does NOT assist you in obtaining any of the certifications (A+, MSCE,
>>CISCO). They claim that what ever company that hires you will send you
>>back to school to obtain those certs.
>>
>>Please reply PRIVATELY.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Namaste',