[RT] Norton and Outlook Express Problems / Eudora

  • To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [RT] Norton and Outlook Express Problems / Eudora
  • From: Ric Ingram <ringram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 00:51:10 -0800

At 18:31 04/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
>  Anyone,
>
>I have Norton, it is current with virus updates, and I found through this
>conversation about the loveletter virus, that it was attached to a email.  My
>puzzlement is that it is there, getting past Norton.  Norton has all the
>options
>positive for scanning email, etc.  Any thoughts as to why?
>(I do not have Outlook installed, or MS email, but am using Netscape).
>
>Dan

Good question.    Ask Norton.

To avoid repeated system corruption, I have switched from Outlook Express
to Eudora 5.0.    I had occasional peculiar glitches and every 2 to 5 weeks
a variable set of major system problems including frustrating delays.

Finally, after fixing IE, reinstalling Windows, upgrading IE and OE, I
finally pinned the problems down to OE itself and its tight integration
with IE.     Whew!  I was just about to go for the FDISK reformat of my
main drive and all the software reinstallation that entails.      The
clincher was that outlook off an old Office 97 disk seemed to fix the problem.

I find Eudora better in many ways than OE and in the registered variant I
am using it is free.

I do not know, but I guess that since it is not tightly integrated with IE,
I could switch browsers without causing problems for email use.

Also I am not at risk of being targeted by OE specific viruses - as the
most common email software, probably the favourite target of virus writers.

I particularly like the background polling of the six email addresses I use
and that retrieving and sending to multiple servers operates in parallel.

Norton found and allowed me to quarantine the virus you mentioned while
using Eudora.

There is the occasional frustration with slow cross application copying and
pasting but this is the only concern I have.

For those considering such a move Eudora imports old OE emails very easily.

Since the switch to Eudora and removal of OE, I have had little or no
system problems.

Hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms.

Regards, Ric.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/152424/_/976006265/