Re: [RT] When & How to Quit When Losing

on 12/1/00 6:54 PM, Ira Tunik at ist@xxxxxx wrote:

> Was it you or your system that broke down.  You shouldn't have to say after 8
> points I quit.  Did you trade your feelings or what your system told you to
> trade?  There is something basically wrong here and it is either you or the
> system.  There is no solution without a lot more information.  Ira.
>
> Brian Keith Voiles wrote:
>
>> I have a question: At what point do you (meaning everyone in general)
>> call it quits for the DAY when you're losing?  And how do you
>> discipline yourself to actually stop and quit, and not try to "make it all
>> back"?
>>
>> I'm wondering because I had a great week in the S&P this week, up
>> until today. Monday was a 3-point gain, Tuesday was a
>> 5-point gain, Wednesday was a 9 point gain, and Thursday was a
>> 9.5 point game.  Now... here we are on Friday... and I lost 19.7
>> points (ouch!).  So grand total I made 6.8 points this week on
>> 18 trades... a net win of $1232... but could'a been a lot more if I
>> hadn't responded so emotionally today to this:
>>
>> My first trade today missed the limit by 1-lousy tick.... then it
>> turned around and hit my stop -- minus 4.7 points.  Second trade:
>> the same thing happen -- minus 5.5 points.
>>
>> So those two events got my emotional-juices flowing.  But, you
>> see, I have a written rule staring me in the face that says
>>
>> "REMEMBER: a loss of 8-points and you're done for the day, no
>> matter what!"
>>
>> So I ignored it.  Here I am after the session realizing that may be a
>> rule I can't live with.  After-all, I'm the "come-back king!".
>>
>> Well, I'm looking for all you "old-timer's" advise on this.  What
>> rules do you follow and how do you mentally and emotionally
>> disconnect enough to quit while the losses are "small"?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Brian Voiles

Brian:  Until you can learn to sell, you will be someone else's meal.  There
are two kinds of people in the markets: those who can sell and the suckers.
O'Neil says it takes about 4 years to learn to sell; it took me longer.
Sorry to be a downer, but that's the way it is.

best.....jerry

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/152424/_/975726924/